Wednesday, July 4, 2012

today

Sometimes it’s good to really think about the things I do in a day.  I’m reading a very challenging book at the moment about simplicity.  Trying to work out which bits of my day and week are dispensable, looking at why I do what I do – what motivates me? – has been much more challenging than I thought!  I will do a post about the book once I (finally) finish it all.

The book has made me realised that it’s so easy to get so busy that I just hurry because that’s what I always do, not because I actually need to.  Why am I hurrying?  Is there anything more important right now – this very second – than talking about why honey makes your hands sticky?  Or marvelling that God made “one single sun”  - yes, that’s right, just the one - that lights up every country in the world in turn?  Or wondering whether cats’ paws get cold on the frozen footpath?  Or how amazing the ice crystals look shimmering on the tips of tiny (and very cold) fingers?

IMG_0684 (Medium)

And it really is cold at the moment!  Gorgeous sunny days, but Sadie is always covered in ice when we head off to school in the mornings.  Sadie has a glass roof, and the boys love watching as the ice gradually slides off as we drive.

IMG_0697 (Medium)

After dropping Toby off at school (great excitement today – Grandparent’s day!), it’s grocery shopping.  Jasper is very co-operative at the supermarket now, because he loves the mini trolleys that he can use.  He also scans all our things at the self-serve checkout.  He’s a good helper!  Today we bought lots and lots of tea (and some other things too!).  Such a shame I don’t like tea, some of the flavours looks so scrumptious!

IMG_0676 (Medium)IMG_0673 (Medium)IMG_0674 (Medium)IMG_0675 (Medium)

All aboard!  After hanging out the washing it’s time to build a train track.

IMG_0669 (Medium)IMG_0670 (Medium)IMG_0672 (Medium)IMG_0688 (Medium)

The engineer is very proud!  He takes his job very seriously.

IMG_8905 (Medium)IMG_0678 (Medium)

After lunch a nap for Jasper, and a brief interlude of peace in which to sew.  Not that I’m complaining about the noisy, joyful chaos which came before it!  The afternoon was a rush of school pick up, another grandparents’ visit, and a piano lesson before dinner.

So that was our day.  It was busy, and it has been interesting to sit back at the end of it and think about all the different things that happened today.  Hope your day was full of sun and bright spots of joy as well.

There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under the heavens.

Ecclesiastes 3:1

2 comments:

  1. what a lovely post Amy. How amazing to have a glass roof for the kids to watch the ice melt - mine pretend they are in an ice cave of a morning! I have a Canadian ice scraper and enjoy getting the ice off the windscreen every day - love winter. My hubby prefers to use the hose :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, an ice scraper sounds exciting! I won't tell the boys because I know they would want one!! We always used to use the hose too...until the day last winter when my husband picked it up and the water inside had frozen, and the hose actually snapped! Now it's warm water everyday. But I love winter too...although autumn is my favourite season, winter is definitely a close second!

      Delete