Sunday, March 3, 2013

selvages

I’ve been wanting to make cushions from selvages for years.  Each time I use fabric I carefully trim the selvage from the edge, and now I have a big box full.  I finally thought I might have enough to make my cushions.

IMG_1875

Well, it turned out that they used much less than I thought! I made two of these 45cm cushions, and have only used about half of my blue and green selvages (I feel this irresistible urge to sort almost everything according to colour. Selvages are no exception!)

IMG_5157

I’m pleased with how they have turned out.  I don’t seem to have taken any photos of the other side, but I used a couple of fabulous fat quarters that I love – so they’re gorgeous on both sides!  They feel really sturdy, too, because I used quite thick fabric behind the selvages to reinforce them – so they might even stand up to two small boys jumping on them!

IMG_5150IMG_5153

There will definitely be more of these to come!  And a couple of sweet patchwork cushions coming up too, for a couple of sweet little girls who are about to become big sisters…

IMG_5155IMG_5152

4 comments:

  1. i just found your blog and i wanted to tell you how much i love the pillows you made! they are just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your lovely comment! So nice to have you drop by the happy nest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a new found follower drifting over from Field of Sage! I have to say that your store is just lovely :) And I've never thought of keeping my selvages! What a great idea! I have an enormous basket full of tiny little scraps that I will create something from one day but now you'll have me collecting my selvages too... You have a lovely spot here Amy.

    Sophie xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to have you visiting from Fields of Sage! So glad you like my little space - I just went and had a little peek at your corner of the blogging world too - love the focused look of Sunny as she's sewing! My boys have been clamouring for a chance at my sewing machine...maybe it's time to let them at it! Can't wait to see one of your scrap/selvage creations one day too :)

    ReplyDelete